Monday, June 22, 2015

Gluten-free, dairy-free Rhubarb cupcakes

I eat gluten (as any other French person, I could barely survive without bread!), I eat dairy (Hello cheese!), but, I have among my friends some people who are gluten and dairy intolerant. And they still deserve a good cupcake.
Rhubarb is starting to show up at the Farmer's market and I couldn't resist but bake some rhubarb cupcakes. I used pink rhubarb in the cupcakes batter (which results in pretty pink-hued cupcakes) and green rhubarb (a bit more bitter) for the jam on top of the cupcakes, but you can use the same type of rhubarb in both and still obtain delicious cupcakes.


Ingredients (for 24 cupcakes)
  • 2 cups Gluten-Free flour (my favorite is Glutino Gluten-Free Pantry All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 2 teaspoons Gluten-Free baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Coconut oil
  • 2 cups sugar (I like evaporated cane sugar) 
  • 1 cup almond milk (or other dairy-free milk of choice)
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 
  • 2 cups diced rhubarb
For the frosting, I found some Soyatoo Soy Whip at my local co-op and I have to say that I was surprised by how good it was!


Recipe
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 300˚F
  2. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and set aside
  3. Beat eggs with coconut oil until frothy
  4. Add sugar and beat until homogeous
  5. Add milk and vanilla extract
  6. Add dry ingredient and keep beating
  7. Add diced rhubarb
  8. Fill muffin cups with around 1/4 batter
  9. Bake for around 20 minutes
  10. Let cool completely
  11. Top with Soy Whip if desired

For a fancier version, you can add rhubarb jam (easy recipe follow) on top of the Soy Whip and sprinkle with a pinch of turbinado sugar


Rhubarb jam recipe 
  • 1 cup diced rhubarb
  • 1 cup diced apple
  • 1/2 cup sugar

In a medium size saucepan, slowly cook the diced rhubarb and apple with the sugar, stirring frequently, until rhubarb and apple broke down. Let it cool. That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment